Table of Contents (Show/Hide)
- What is a Therapeutic-grade Essential Oil?
- How to Find Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
- Therapeutic Benefits of Essential Oils
- Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oils Gift Sets
- Essential Oils Synergy Blends
- Using Essential Oils as a First-Aid Kit
Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils is a term used when discussing factors that influence aromatherapy products.
Essential oils are essentially highly concentrated and distilled moistures from various plants. To get the essential oils from the plant source, there are a few different distillation processes and methods producers will use including cold pressed, steam distilled, or solvent extracted.
Because of the different ingredient sources, and extraction methods, the purity of essential oils varies from brand to brand, and often very subtly between different batches of the same brand.
Bottom Line Up Front: If you are looking to get started with the ultimate therapeutic grade starter set, I highly recommend this 32-bottle set from Eden’s Garden available here.
What is a Therapeutic-grade Essential Oil?
Often Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils is a term used to refer to only the highest purity oils produced. It’s necessary to note however that there currently is no central oversight organization, or independent group certifying or testing different essential oils, so for a brand to claim their oils are ‘Therapeutic Grade’, it’s more a statement from the brand itself that they consider their oils to be of the highest quality.
Oils that brands put out as ‘Therapeutic Grade’ or ‘Therapeutic Value’ tend to be carefully distilled from the highest quality plants to maintain their beneficial, or medical qualities. The purpose of such a high quality oil might be to relax us, alleviate minor ailments, or to stimulate us with only a few drops.
The purity and quality of an essential oil are, like wine, effected by the geography, growing conditions, and harvest time of the source plant they are produced from. Poor growing methods for instance, and poor distillation methods will lessen the plant’s therapeutic worth for essential oils.
How to Find Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
Recognizing the fact that there is no such certification as Therapeutic Grade for essential oils, there are things you can look for to recognize and only purchase the purest of essential oils. Which, especially if you’re using the oils for a specific purpose is what you want.
Shop for oils by brand
Different brands use different internal methods of assessing their oil’s qualities, so going with well-known brands with clear and transparent standards is the way to go. If you need help choosing your go-to essential oils brand, check out our full guide to essential oil brands.
Avoid expressly stated synthetic fragrance oils
while ‘therapeutic grade’ or ‘clinical grade’ are generally non-specific terms, ‘synthetic oil’ or ‘synthetic fragrance oil’ are specific terms that mean the oil was produced chemically, with additives and ingredients apart from the pure extract of the plant it claims to emulate.
Shop for organic oils
Especially if you are looking for oils to address a specific need or achieve a specific effect, organic oils will ensure the cleanest, most pure oil for what you’re looking to address.
Assess the purity of an oil on its individual ingredient level
This one is more specific to blends. You can of course purchase essential oil blends from different brands (see for instance our review of the 10 best essential oil brands from doTerra), which are a combination of different essential oils. To ensure the highest quality and purity of these, it’s very import to buy from a reputable brand or make your own from individual oil ingredients you’ve sourced or purchased for their purity.
Therapeutic Benefits of Essential Oils
Again, while ‘Therapeutic Grade’ may by a wishy-washy term itself, it doesn’t mean different types of essential oils don’t have recognized therapeutic or healing qualities. Here is a non-exhaustive list of a few essential oils and what they’re used for. If you’re looking for a list of the best essential oils for a specific purpose, please read our full guide on the Best Essential Oils.
- Lavender: helps to alleviate stress, anxiety, irritability mental fatigue, panic attacks, and depression, but also good for bruises and stretch marks and it smells good.
- Peppermint: helps with nausea, vertigo, and exhaustion being good for headaches.
- Frankincense: used for immune system stimulation and to help with asthma, dry coughing, and bronchitis.
- Lemon: used for treating stress, infections, fever, asthma, insomnia, obesity, skin disorders, stomach problems, tiredness, and healthy hair; has antiseptic and disinfectant properties.
- Tea Tree: known for its topical anti-fungal, antiseptic treatment and antibiotic properties; also effective in curing ailments like skin infections, burns, rashes, dandruff, and many more.
- Eucalyptus: for healing mucus membranes, inflammation, has anti-bacterial properties, maintains dental health, offers pain relief, aids respiratory infections, and improves the immune system.
- Lemongrass: used as an analgesic, antidepressant, sedative, antiseptic, anti-pyretic (reduces fevers), deodorant, and has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties.
- Orange: used as an antidepressant, anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, gas/bloating, aphrodisiac, diuretic, sedative, tonic, stimulates gallbladder contractions to promote bile flow.
- Cinnamon Bark: used for treating a variety of health disorders like diarrhea, colds, menstrual cramps, arthritis, digestive problems, respiratory problems, skin infections, blood impurity, and various heart problems.
- Rosemary: stimulates hair growth, boosts mental activity, reduces pain, and relieves respiratory problems, used to aid indigestion, mouth care, skin care, stress relief, and pain relief.
- Sweet Orange: helps to treat colds, dull skin, constipation, flu, gum problems, aids in digestion.
- Bergamot: helps to treat various skin problems and plays a major role in relieving the amount of stress with proper flow of vital energy throughout the body.
- Clary Sage: possesses different properties helping as an antidepressant, anti-bactericidal, deodorant, digestive, and sedative.
- Grapefruit: like other citrus fruit oils, this essential oil also helps in relieving stress and minor anxiety.
- Patchouli: helps to reduce acne, chapped skin, athlete’s foot, eczema, fatigue, and healthy hair. Smells good.
- Spearmint: possesses several beneficial properties as an antiseptic, sedative, antidepressant, insecticide, fabric protector from moths and insects.
- Lime: can be used as an antiseptic oil, antiviral, and disinfectant.
- Tangerine: helps reduce occasional nervous irritability and stress reliever.
Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oils Gift Sets
If you’re looking for a sampling of different high quality oils, here are a few we recommend.
1. Aromatherapy Top Six 100% Pure Therapeutic-grade Basic Sampler Essential Oil Gift Sets
Essential oils are often thought of as a gift from Mother Nature—and that is indeed true.
Oils are made from the essence of the plants. What is essence you wonder? It is like you: your heart and soul is your essence; who you are. All of nature is the same: plants have spirit energy, a heart at its core, and its lifeblood is water. Where is the fragrance hiding; and where does that wonderful smell come from when sheets are hung on a clothesline? More mysteries from Mother Nature. Essential oils are composed of the aromatic sweet-smelling essence of the plants. The oils have extraordinary properties to enhance your well-being and improve your living surroundings or office area.
The Therapeutic-grade Basic Sampler Essential Oil Gift Set has 10 mL (0.33 ounces) each of Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Sweet Orange, and Peppermint. There are no additives, fillers, or artificial anything. You get up to 99 natural oils, and they are 100% pure therapeutic essential oils. When you purchase the sampler, use it yourself, or give it to someone. You or your friend will enjoy the relaxing benefits and great body-mind well-being feelings. Your spirit will benefit as well. It is totally rejuvenating. The packet is affordable so get one for you and a friend.
2. Essential Oil—the Beginners Best of the Best Aromatherapy Gift Set
Everyone is aware of the many benefits derived from using essential oils. This beautiful and useful gift set will be a delightful moment in someone’s life when you give it to them. They will be have the relaxing qualities and rejuvenating benefits from the oils the same that you enjoy.
This high-class package is the Beginners Best of the Best Aromatherapy Gift Set. This aromatherapy essential oil set includes several natural elements such as Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lavender, Clary Sage, Lemon, Cinnamon Leaf, Lime, Eucalyptus, Sweet Orange, Patchouli, Tea Tree, Rosemary, and Spearmint all in 10 mL (0.33 ounces) each. It is wrapped where you can gift it, not needing to purchase wrapping paper and ribbon. This set, like all of the others, have no additives, fillers, or artificial anything and are 100% pure therapeutic essential oils.
3. Ultimate Aromatherapy 100% Pure Therapeutic-grade Essential Oils Set
Essential oils have marvelous and many established benefits. The essential set would make a perfect gift and be perfect for you too. The Ultimate Aromatherapy 100% Pure Therapeutic-grade Essential Oils Set will have you relaxing and peaceful in no time. This set contains 32 essential oils weighing 10 mL (0.33 ounces) each. The gift pack includes Bergamot, Basil, Breathe Easy Synergy Blend, Clary Sage, Clove, Four Thieves Synergy Blend, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Lavender, Frankincense, Lemongrass, Lime, Pine, Peppermint, Spearmint, Rosemary, Purification Synergy Blend, Sweet Orange, Tangerine, Tea Tree, Wintergreen, Stress Relief Synergy Blend, Birch, Grapefruit, Patchouli, Vanilla, Cinnamon Bark, Cedar Wood, and Adoration Synergy Blend.
Essential Oils Synergy Blends
Essential oil blends can be specifically designed and mixed to achieve specific therapeutic or healing benefits. The synergy between two or more essential oils can become more powerful at achieving a specific result than a single oil on its own. Here are a few essential oil synergy blends we recommend.
1. Seven Synergy Blends and 7 Top Single 100% Pure Therapeutic-grade Essential Oils
This exceptional item provides the perfect blend of 7 synergy oils as well as 7 top single oils. The list of the 14 oils measuring 10 mL (0.33 ounces) each provides many benefits. They provide aids to calm, relieve stress, and engender feelings of hope and optimism. The oils are Stay Alert, Purification, Hope, Meditation, Cinnamon Bar, Peppermint, Sweet Orange, Lavender, and Rosemary.
For the 101 ways to use the oils properly, consult the handy brochure included. The oils contain no fillers or additives and are 100% pure and excellent for aromatherapy. Purchase this item for yourself or a gift for a friend. They are perfectly blended to serve many beneficial uses and are affordable.
2. Synergy Blends 100% Pure and Natural Aromatherapy Therapeutic-grade Essential Oils
Essential oils are a captivating gift from nature. The many applications increase daily. The product provides 14 Synergy Blends Therapeutic-grade Essential Oils. This one has been the most often asked for product providing a natural aromatherapy experience. This product will give you peace and relaxation that you desire.
This product has 14 different essential oils of 10 mL (0.33 ounces ) each. The 14 different essential oils include Calming, Aphrodisiac, Meditation, Purification, Joy, Four Thieves, Hope, Harmony, Love, Peace, Cleaning, Stay Alert, Relaxation, and Stress Relief. All the essential oils are 100% pure and are perfectly suited for Aromatherapy. The set also has an information brochure inside focusing on the different ways the essential oils can be used. The product is beautifully packaged to have for you and give to a friend since they are easily affordable.
3. Top 6 Synergy Blends Basic Therapeutic-grade Aromatherapy Sampler Pack
Essential oils are very helpful to everyone today and are predominantly used for therapeutic purposes. This sampler pack contains Synergy Blends of Aphrodisiac, Stress Relief, Purification, Relaxation, Hope, and Stay Alert with 6 natural essentials 10 mL (0.33 ounces) each. The product is very popular in the marketplace. These oils are all natural and 100% pure and are wonderful for therapeutic purposes. The product contains an informational insert to help you customize the therapeutic benefits of these oils to your personal preference. You can add them to your bathwater or in your body massage oils and feel the difference immediately. The oils in this product can also be applied topically or even inhaled. This 6-oil set has a wide range of applications not just in your daily life but also with therapy-based uses. At a low cost you can gift a friend and yourself.
Using Essential Oils as a First-Aid Kit
High quality essential oils can often act as a natural first aid kit. Specific essential oils can provide the right support to the body and allow it to return to its natural sense of equilibrium when used in the right conditions. Here are a few instances in which you might use essential oils for first-aid purposes.
- Scrapes and minor cuts
- After having a disagreeable meal
- Minor aches and pain
- Occasional nausea
- Insect bites
- Tick bites
- Bee stings
- Minor Burns and more
These ‘4 essential oil kits’ are specifically put together and packaged to be effectively used for first-aid purposes.
1. First-Aid Essential Oil Set with 14 Therapeutic-grade Oils
Essential Oils have been used for thousands of years by many cultures. The tribes took the oils with them on their camels, clothes, and head gear. The elite used them too. It was their first-aid kit on the move. They were used then for aromatherapy and therapeutic purposes and they are actively used for first-aid purposes today.
The First-Aid Essential Oil Set is 100% Pure Therapeutic-grade Oils in 14 bottles of 10 mL (0.33 ounces) each. Essential oils not only provide you with relaxation and tranquility but additionally provide useful first-aid applications. The set has a collection of very powerful essential oils.
The oils provide for healing, protecting, and restoring the mind, body, and soul. The 14 oils are Lemon, Lavender, Tea tree, Peppermint, Oregano, Frankincense, Ginger, Birch, Eucalyptus, Palmarosa, Stress Relief, Winter Green, Four Thieves, and Breathe Easier.
The set includes an informational brochure to help you customize the blending benefits of these oils as you wish. These oils can be applied topically or inhaled. Try adding them to your bathwater or use them in a body massage. The product is wrapped attractively making it perfect for a gift—and the price is inexpensive.
2. dōTERRA® Family Physician Kit
Essential oils have been a great windfall for us. They have been widely used in aromatherapy or for therapeutic purposes for eons. The essential oils are also used for physical well-being and first-aid purposes. The product mentioned here is the wonderful dōTERRA® Family Physician Kit. The physical state of a person contributes to his or her mental well-being. These essential oils provide restful relaxation. The dōTERRA® Family Physician Kit is an integration of 10 nurturing essential oils. These oils are natural and 100% pure. There are 6 single oils and 4 blends in the kit.
Each bottle measures 5 mL (0.17 ounces) each. The oils include Lavender, Peppermint, Lemon, Melaleuca, Oregano, Frankincense, Deep Blue, Digest Zen, Breathe, and On Guard that help you and your families tackle a number of health issues. The kit comes in a very stunning and attractive box that makes it great for a gift. The packaged oils are not costly, so get one for you and a friend.
Pure essential oils are very effective and powerful when used in the right circumstances, and can be used for specific purposes such as healing, relaxing, or stimulating. When shopping for essential oils however, it’s important to recognize that the purity of each brand and oil are not uniformly the same. Some companies use the term Therapeutic Grade to indicate their oils are of a high purity and quality, but it’s up to you the consumer (and us, the independent reviewer) to ultimately assess the quality of different brand’s essential oils.
Some of the links in this post may be from our sponsors or advertising partners who we take great care to select. We’re letting you know because it’s the right thing to do.
No Medical Advice
IMPORTANT: We wrote this article to be helpful with educational and informational purposes only. The information in this article is not meant to convey medical advice and does not constitute the practice of medicine. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, qualified medical advice from a professional. See our full medical disclosure for more.